April 30, 2012

Bittersweet

It’s been a rough week.

A tragedy hit one of my dear friends and her family is dealing with heartbreaking loss.  That blow has left a lot of people devastated.  Myself included.  Other friends are dealing with the news that cancer will soon take the lives of their loved ones.  There are so many of these stories that it can be overwhelming.  The bad seems to outweigh the good at times.

And… people are still getting married.  New lives are entering the world.  There are still people celebrating.  Myself included.

The truth is, the heartbreaking things and the exciting things exist at the same time.  It’s a weird place to be, living in the tension between the good and the bad, love and loss, birth and death.  Having, at the same time, big things to grieve and equally big things to celebrate.  But I guess that’s the nature of life.  It is bittersweet.  Both existing at the same time.  I don’t always know how to deal with that.

One thing I am sure of, though, is that there is One who does have all the answers.  One who understands the pain and enters into it with us.  And even when it seems like the world is falling down around me, He is faithful.  I’m grateful for that and for the people He has placed in my life that bring me joy and help carry my burdens.

This card and flowers were gifts from two of my favorite people, for whom I am VERY thankful.

flowers2flowers1

1. Starshine

April 30th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Very well said, Jen. Living in that tension can be overwhelming. But you expressed it so honestly and acknowledged God’s sovereign place in it all. I love you.

Brian and I will be in So Cal with the boys May 18-26. We want to see you! xo

2. Amber Fox

April 30th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I love you and love this post. You are such an encouragement to me dear friend and I love you. I am praying for that tension you are experiencing right now and thru the suffering that you can draw closer to Christ and know that all things work for the glory of Him, even though it’s hard to understand at times.

3. lindsey kliewer

April 30th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

friend, thank you for opening up and sharing! i will pray for you too! i have a hard time really believing God is good when things are hard, but i will pray that you may sense His love and nearness! so glad you have people in your life to be God’s hands and feet, telling you that you are seen and loved!

4. Kim

April 30th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry and pray that your friends are doing well. You are so correct though. He IS faithful through it all.

5. Kimberly

April 30th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Beautifully written Jen! I hope everything gets better soon for your friends.

6. Jeni Brower

May 1st, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Jenn,
    You are so right. He is Faithful. So happy to know you. 🙂
    Love your website & Blog!!! Beautiful.

7. Molly W.